≡ Menu

Do Something Amazing With Your Marketing

On Sunday I went to give blood, and whilst sat on the bed waiting for my valuable donation to pump out of my body I spotted the logo on the left, and it made me think about how I would spread the word about this excellent service. You see the NHS have invested heavily in viral marketing, they want you to go out and tell the world that you’ve just done an amazing thing.

It’s highly likely that in today’s connected world that doing something like giving blood is something that you will share on twitter or facebook. This kind of word of mouth recommendation and social proof is what reminds other people to register for donations, and it also has a positive impact for the poster – after all when you give blood the chances are that you will have saved someone’s life!

So How Can My Marketing Become Amazing?

The driver for people sharing the fact they gave blood is to improve their self esteem, and say look at me I’ve done a good thing. So if you were able to provide content that changes the way people think, and give them a little golden nugget that will make them a better person / improve the profits in their business that’s something they will be proud to share – and that sort of amazing content is the basis for all good viral marketing campaign.

You want to become a Maven for your niche, where you’re the person who people look to for how to apply new ideas to the marketplace. You don’t need to be the person coming up with the ground breaking ideas, in fact you normally make more money by telling other people how to apply the idea than coming up with it yourself.

Just to prove how powerful this concept is, here’s a list of people going back several years that have been responsible for helping me achieve success. Some of the list have moved into different areas over the years, but I will always have respect for these people thanks to that “golden nugget” spark they gave my marketing career.

Ewen Chia – Putting banner adverts on your download page for related products. This simple idea has made me thousands of dollars in sales, and I know for sure that he was just applying the direct marketing technique of cross selling.

Mike Filsaime – The butterfly marketing concept.

He’s the reason why almost every marketer will try to sell you a “One Time Offer” when you join a list – note many of the people doing this now still have no idea how to do it correctly.

He’s also the guy who taught me all about ftp, html, and installing membership scripts / aweber forms via his camtasia screen recordings.

Gary Ambrose – Quality List Theory.

Have you noticed where the idea to call my site “Build A Quality List” came from? The idea that selling low priced information products and creating a relationship is so obvious now, but it was Gary who introduced the concept to me.

In fact, you don’t even need to be the product creator to get in on this act. You can use Resale Rights to become the expert, just like the Maven example above. Connecting people with proven ideas in an appropriate and actionable fashion is one of the most fundamental principals of any business.

Jon Olson – Personal Responsability / The art of owning a business.

When I first started out I was really bad for posting affiliate links all over the internet, and was sure that I would get rich by building downlines and being a part of many dubious “network marketing” sites where there was little or no product behind the matrix.

It was listening to Jon that helped me realise that I should network with like minded people and concentrate on learning marketing rather than slot machine marketing and believing every salespage and snake oil salesmen I found.

Who Do You Find Amazing?

Please use the comments to share your thoughts and give a shout out to the one person who has had the biggest impact on your marketing success so far.

Andrew

Read This Later - Click Here

About the author: Andrew is a scientist who happens to know a lot about the technical aspects of blogging and listbuilding. If you have an issue with wordpress or your autoresponder and setting up squeezepages please get in touch via email / twitter or hire him on fiverr.

10 comments… add one

• Donald November 27, 2012, 10:42 pm

Hi Andrew,

I enjoyed that post mate. I haven’t been successful yet but someday. I got to know about John Thornhill, only after buying a product from dave Nicholson. I now stick to these 2 marketers. I ahve bought a few products from them plus plenty freebies over the last 3 years. I now only look at John & Dave and those close to them.

I just need to try that wee bit harder and i aim to do that.

Regards

Donald

• Nick Grimshawe November 28, 2012, 2:22 am

Well Andrew,

Frankly you have been amazing to me, starting out with a few suggestions for my blog and leading on to get me to look at what I want to do online, and helping to keep me pointed in the right direction. Because of your work I’ve begun to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And it’s bloody brilliant.

I agree about Jon and for me I would also add Janet Legere, who got me started originally.

Nick
    Nick Grimshawe recently posted..Trusted Names

• Sergio Felix November 28, 2012, 3:57 am

Hey Andrew, that blood donation campaign is really awesome man, I’m pretty sure that more people would be eager to donate knowing that they can share their action on the social media platforms.

Maybe even including some YouTube videos would increase even more the popularity as youngsters (I mean people from 18+) love to laugh at horror faces and pain faces so everyone would just love to go in and have their video recorded.

That’s what I believe, not that is the brightest idea… lol

I’m not sure which marketer has had the biggest impact on me, I would have to say that there are many people that have helped me both directly and indirectly but the ones that I’m REALLY grateful to, are the ones I can actually have a conversation with.

There are many big marketers that I really respect and admire and who I have learnt a lot from but I would still have my marketing friends above them.

Sergio
    Sergio Felix recently posted..Going All In And A Look To The Past

• Mike Perriss November 28, 2012, 6:34 am

Hi Andrew,
    Really nice post.
    Still being somewhat new to all this, I can’t really single out a person just now,
    but everyone at Tim Tech and everyone I’ve met so far through CTP have been
    really helpful.

Onwards and upwards,

Mike

• Marlene Kristensen November 28, 2012, 8:23 am

Hi Andrew

Just stoped by your blog to see what you where up to and was very inspired by your “bloody story” 🙂

I also saw a few new cool marketing names that I never checked out before. Very good idea to tell how they have helped you in the past!

Personally I owe John Thornhill, Alex Jeffrey, Chris Freville, Elisabeth Purvis, Liz Tomey and a lot more… many gratefull thankyous. They all helped me understand marketing and pushed me to take action and get results.

And Andrew, I have to say that your blog impressed me by going way back to december 2007… that is a very long time my friend. I know you must be a marketing genious after all this time.
    I will definently come back to see what you are up to…

Maybe we could jv or help eachother out some how… would love that 🙂

Kind regards,
    Marlene

• Pauline November 28, 2012, 9:11 am

Hi Andrew
    You have listed some great people here, I have heard of all of them but only followed Ewen & Mike so far.
    I would also like to add Barry Wells to my list of people that have helped me along with Adrienne Smith they are two great marketers that I would recommend to anyone!
    Have a great day
    Pauline
    Pauline recently posted..JV Giveaways & List Building Tips

• Ian Clarke November 28, 2012, 10:16 am

Hi Andrew
    Linking the giving of blood to viral marketing was an inspiration. Just shows you that ideas for posts are all around you. Previously I think you mentioned that looking through magazines and newspapers in newsagents is a great way to get ideas for headlines. I think the most worthwhile thing to do is to leave constructive comments on posts….it gives the writer of the post a great boost that someone has taken the trouble to read their post and even bothered to write a comment on it. Andy Sumner and Adrienne Smith are two people who will nearly always leave a comment for which I am most grateful. You have also kept me focussed on the ultimate aim and diverted my temptation to try the latest shiny object.

• Noel Cunningham November 28, 2012, 10:25 am

Hey Andrew,
    I’d like to add Brad Gosse to the list amongst many others I could mention. Anybody who is self made is always an inspiration to me and I think it’s important to identify with a few of these guys and use them as role models for your own business if you so wish.

Well done on donating mate – a very important thing for us all to do.

Thanks,
    – Noel.

• Andrew Stark November 28, 2012, 5:14 pm

Glad that so many of you are sharing some other awesome marketers.

The key thing here is that you need to invest time in learning as well as doing.

A future post will build on this concept, and help you come up with a plan to get more visitors to your own blogs.

Andrew

• Barry Wells December 3, 2012, 10:40 am

Hi Andrew,

I like the way you’ve brought giving blood into the online arena and have put a twist on it to demonstrate the power of viral marketing.

I also like the fact that you give blood, thank you. I say thank you as I’ve needed blood in the past. I also tried giving some back (blood) but due to my paraplegia I couldn’t get on the seat they use so I wasn’t allowed to give blood 🙁 (just a side note).

People that have inspired me:
    John Thornhill (he got me started online)
    Sally Neill (with her crash course: Learn With Sally)
    Dan Sumner (every post is a lesson)
    Adrienne Smith (my favourite blogger)

Huge thanks Pauline Bennet for her kinds words in her comment above. It’s really nice to know that I have had such an impact on someone, which inspires me to push myself even harder 🙂

Did Butterfly Marketing show you how to create membership sites Andrew?

Barry

PS be sure to come over and promote yourself and your blog Andrew 🙂
    Barry Wells recently posted..Promote Yourself and Your Blogs