≡ Menu

Can We Really Trust Internet Marketers?

So this week’s blog post should have been a list of Killer Resources, but that will have to wait until next week as I’m not organised enough to have planned ahead.

Today’s post is back to a threat headline.

Why Can’t We Trust Internet Marketers

Almost everyone you speak to online can tell you about a product or service they bought that was over priced and under delivered. Perhaps even worse is the fact that many of these people fall foul of the same tactics more than once before finding out that they have been diddled.

The worst thing is that these scumbags actually go out and target people they know are new to the world of Internet Marketing.

What Are The Warning Signs?

Here’s how to tell if someone is trying to abuse your trust.

• Even when you have your credit card in hand all excited you don’t actually know what you’re buying
  • When you do buy a product you’re immediately told that you need to buy extra things to make it work better and give you that instant return on investment faster and easier.
  • Every email you get from them is trying to sell you something
  • You ask support a question and get no answer
  • The product is all filler and no actual information. Telling you to promote the product you just bought to make money is not actually a product.
  • Google is full of fake reviews and testimonials that have been bough from fiverr

How Can We Find The Good Internet Marketers?

It will take time, but eventually you will do some research and find a product or site such as the warrior forum where someone will take you under their wing and teach you how to create a BS radar and keep you on the straight and narrow.

Even better is when someone takes the time to write blog posts that educate you and teach you how to do things that will result in real sustainable online business.

Hint: By telling you the things above it means that I can no longer send you a copy and paste email to something involving russian programmers and a pintest loophole that will make you a gazillion dollars by the weekend.

Learn From The People Who Actually Have Done It

If someone is selling a blogging product but doesn’t use wordpress themselves then what makes them qualified as a teacher? Like I said in the previous post you need to learn from proven experts.

It’s also worth finding half a dozen or so people you connect with, make friends, and learn together.

Go out and find facebook groups or forums that have the same passion as you, and just have fun learning.

Suddenly the learning means that you’re now able to create content and start your own blog. Then you’re ready to start monetizing the content. If you don’t have real content then you are “faking it” and are no better than the scumbags who are selling hopes and dreams.

About the author: Andrew is a scientist who happens to know a lot about the technical aspects of blogging and listbuilding. If you have an issue with wordpress or your autoresponder and setting up squeezepages please get in touch via email / twitter or hire him on fiverr.

6 comments… add one

• Roy May 9, 2012, 2:46 pm

Great post Andrew. You’re telling it as it is. I’ve noticed the point when i brought a product awhile back and afterwards told i needed xyz product but later then found out i really didn’t needed it.

The Warnings signs you have listed are very true.
    Roy recently posted..Five Solid Reasons For Using Yahoogroups To start Your own Ezine

• Andrew May 9, 2012, 3:38 pm

Hi Roy

It’s sad that you have had to find out the hard way. I hope that you were able to get a refund on your purchase, if it was a clickbank product it’s super simple to get a refund in the 60 day period. Some vendors have refund rates of > 50%, but are happy because they’ve managed to con half of the customers.

Andrew

• Patrick Griffin May 10, 2012, 12:37 am

Hi Andrew,

You have identified all the major points people need to consider before making the decision to buy.

I would recommend that if people are unsure about making a purchase then they should use this post as a checklist to help them come to a conclusion.

Unscrupulous marketers want people to buy on impulse, to make decisions based on passion and not on sound reason. Don’t let them do this.

Patrick.

• Andrew May 10, 2012, 7:06 am

Hi Patrick

When I write a salespage I want the customer to know what they’re getting and have as a refund rate as possible. We all make impulse buys, and I’ve got plenty of them, but I don’t want my product to be gathering cyber dust giving me a bad name as the guy who sold dreams.

I would rather lose a sale than take money from someone who didn’t know what they were doing. I guess that it’s just a moral question, and sadly too many people in the world are putting profit at the top of the list.

Will have the Man Utd team round at the weekend to help me open this book of yours, will they have the premiership trophy with them?

Andrew

• Devesh May 11, 2012, 3:27 am

Great stuff, Andrew. These are the points that people need to consider before making the decision to buy the product.

There are hundreds of thousands of internet marketers, who are trying to make money by selling products that doesn’t provide any real value.

Thanks for sharing this post, Andrew.

-Dev
    Devesh recently posted..Building Influence: Comments and Commenting Challenge

• Sergio Felix May 11, 2012, 7:07 am

Hey Andrew,

Sadly, I have been exactly there.

And by “there” I mean, I have bought castles in the air before (dreams).

Luckily for me after a few times of realizing I spent too much money on crappy products, I think I finally built my natural BS radar and now I can spot these from within an internet mile away.

Your list of warning signs is awesome and the recommendation for following someone’s advice who has actually done it already, couldn’t be any better.

I have found WAY too many marketers teaching how to become a pro blogger and they don’t even have a blog!

That’s so misleading and shady.

Awesome article and great points Andrew, hope more people can check it out and finally learn how to tell right from wrong when buying something.

Sergio
    Sergio Felix recently posted..Importance Of Written Contracts, Terms Of Service And Good Communication